The Reason for this New Blog

This new blog is a combination of great ideas I have gleaned from others and a few insights of my own. My main purpose will be to chronicle the continued learning I receive through sermons, books, and conferences. My goal is to have regular posts in the following categories:

"What I learned from my Pastor this week." (thanks, Rachel!)

"What I learned from the books I have read."

"What I am learning as a homeschool mom."


I welcome your input in the comments section in each of these categories. So pull up a chair, and join my adventure in a lifetime of learning.


Monday, March 1, 2010

What I learned from my Pastor ~ Feb. 14

Note: I am a bit behind with posting these, but will do my best to get all 3 up today.

Revelation 7:1-8 was the text for this week's sermon examining yet another portion of scripture that is highly debated. Regardless of one's view of the identity of the 144,000 mentioned, Pastor Jack pointed out that they are sealed and protected as they serve on earth. I was comforted by the fact that "the servant of God is invincible until his work for God is complete."

Pastor Jack's final points were 1. Be sealed. It's that simple. Ephesians 1:13-14 explicitly tells us how and with what we are sealed. For believers, the Father has sealed us with protection and care. The Son has bought and redeemed us with His own precious blood. He owns us. And the Spirit seals us by certifies and testifies that we are the children of God.

2. Be serving. (2 Corinthians 4:5) Pastor Jack shared this quote that Charles Spurgeon said once when he was very sick,

"If I have any message to give from my own bed of sickness it would be this—if you do not wish to be full of regrets when you are obliged to lie still, work while you can. If you desire to make a sick bed as soft as it can be, do not stuff it with the mournful reflection that you wasted time while you were in health and strength. People said to me years ago, “You will break your body down with preaching ten times a week,” and the like. Well, if I have done so, I am glad of it. I would do the same again. If I had fifty bodies I would rejoice to break them down in the service of the Lord Jesus Christ. You young men that are strong, overcome the wicked one and fight for the Lord while you can. You will never regret having done all that lies in you for our blessed Lord and Master. Crowd as much as you can into every day, and postpone no work till tomorrow. “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might.” (Ecc. 9:10)."

No comments:

Post a Comment