The Reason for this New Blog

This new blog is a combination of great ideas I have gleaned from others and a few insights of my own. My main purpose will be to chronicle the continued learning I receive through sermons, books, and conferences. My goal is to have regular posts in the following categories:

"What I learned from my Pastor this week." (thanks, Rachel!)

"What I learned from the books I have read."

"What I am learning as a homeschool mom."


I welcome your input in the comments section in each of these categories. So pull up a chair, and join my adventure in a lifetime of learning.


Thursday, February 11, 2010

Homeschool Seedlings

When the issue of homeschool comes up, so often the words "socialize" or "sheltered" are soon accompanied by it. Recently I read a very good devotion about sheltering that summarized part of my passion for beginning this new adventure called homeschooling.

Here are some excerpts from that devotion that I found especially powerful:



Most caring parents draw a line and set limits on what they allow their children to experience. The only difference between my sheltering and theirs was that I had simply drawn our children's line in a different place. R-rated movies, magazines and books that promoted sex outside of marriage, violent video games, and other activities that violated God's Word were not a part of our family life. The standards I wanted to set were for training in righteousness, not for training in the ways of the world. Learning how to be in the world but not of it is difficult for Christians both young and old.

The unbelieving community sees us as trying to live "holier than thou," but sometimes we must allow God to sanctify us by removing ourselves from the temptations that would lead us into sin. God even commands us to run away (flee) from idolatry (1 Corinthians 10:14) "and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them" (Ephesians 5:11).

However, Jesus also gave us the example of reaching the lost by meeting them in their homes and on the streets. Finding the balance between loving the lost and not getting caught in sin takes discernment and wisdom that comes from studying God's Word, praying, and listening to the Holy Spirit.

So, how much do you shelter your children from the evil in the world without quenching the redemptive work of Christ? After all, as Christians, we are to be salt and light.

My answer to that question came one day while gardening. The Master Gardener showed me that if I transplanted my seedlings that I started inside the house into the outside garden too soon, they would die from the exposure to the elements. However, if I moved them at the right time and carefully nurtured the seedlings for a time with extra protection and fertilizer, they would grow into strong, healthy plants that would not only resist bugs, heat, and hail, but also produce an abundance of fruit.

Don't let anyone's sheltering argument convince you to transplant your precious homeschooling seedlings too early!

Lord, give me discernment to hear Your voice on how to homeschool my children, so they are effective witnesses for You. Help me ground them in Your Word and fertilize them with Your truths, so they not only survive in the world, but also flourish and change it. In Jesus' name, Amen.

6 comments:

  1. Great devotion! Some days that type of encouragement is just what I need to hear. Are you going to try to go to our state convention this year May 7&8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gardening analogy really spoke to me. Keeping the kiddos in the school system or home schooling them is an issue I have yet to find peace with. All in His time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon -- Making our decision to homeschool Allie (and still in the process as to timing with the other kids) was not one that came quickly, but when we knew, we just knew. If that makes any sense at all??

    Yeah, I agree about the gardening analogy. Word pictures often do that for me :). Great visiting with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well put! I will prin this out, and keep a copy of it in a safe place, for if God's ever decides that I need it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A first for me(kevin) to comment, but browsing during a study break today. Enjoy keeping up with everyone on blogs though......

    Here is a totally different point of view.
    My Big Idea: The question is not homeschool vs public school as much as it is about the parents living out the great commission.

    I think the criticism within the church of homeschooling comes from people who feel it is a continued movement of the church away from truly engaging the lost. A movement toward the heart of the pharisees and seperatism. Those who claim this calim that they want to "engage" the world or be an influence. Often they become more worldly than engaged. I think these criticisms are valid at times, but avoid the true question.

    We all want to disciple our kids as parents, but merely teaching them to avoid sin does not get at the heart of the Gospel. They need to know why we don't sin and that they are called by Jesus to be a part of His rescue mission.

    Here is where the parents come in. If the children never have seen thier parents befriend a "lost" family, share thier faith in a natural way, pray for a lost person, or engage those outside of Jesus in a loving and authentic way while unashamedly living out thier faith then those are the sheltered children. If our family doesn't celebrate what Jesus and all of heaven celebrates (read Luke 15) then we are missing one of the greatest joys life has to offer. Heaven doesn't party over someone not sinning or someone having worldly friends, they party over salvation of a lost person.

    Christianity is not about avoiding sin, it is about loving Jesus. How do you know if someone love's Jesus? The Bible says they obey Him. Obedience includes both protecting our children from truly evil influences and showing them how to engage people with a different worldview in a loving truthful way.

    So how are you doing in modeling both holiness and witnessing to your family? This question motivates me beyond the surface arguement of which is right home or public. It also gives me freedom in choosing to do what is best for my kids while staying on mission for Jesus.


    I am thankful for families like the Huberts who seriously consider all these issues in thier choices.

    Thanks Huberts!! Miss ya'll

    ---Kevin B. sorry at another computer so did not log in............................

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kevin for the comments. You said, "We all want to disciple our kids as parents, but merely teaching them to avoid sin does not get at the heart of the Gospel. They need to know why we don't sin and that they are called by Jesus to be a part of His rescue mission."

    I agree. They also need to know that it is the power of the gospel that enables them to not sin. Probably the biggest reason for this decision to homeschool is to dileigently spend these formative years pouring the Word of God into them so that they are effectively able to engage the lost world. It is no secret that, for the most part, the education system is directly opposed to the truths in God's Word. I wish my 2nd grader could go into a public school and make a difference for Jesus, but unfortuately without my continued guidance, she is more susceptible to the world's grasp than being able to make a difference. I have seen time and time again the world (especially in these young school years) making the most headway. I agree that this may be done even without homeschooling, I am just beginning to see the HUGE advantages of having 7+ hours equipping her (and yes, avoiding really negative influences as well) so that when she does go on a rescue mission with the world, she accurately knows and believes with a passion.

    Like you said, "Obedience includes both protecting our children from truly evil influences and showing them how to engage people with a different worldview in a loving truthful way."

    I say, "AMEN!"

    And with that, it's time to get busy doing just that. Thanks for you comment (and follow-up clarification). It was good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete