The Reason for this New Blog

This new blog is a combination of great ideas I have gleaned from others and a few insights of my own. My main purpose will be to chronicle the continued learning I receive through sermons, books, and conferences. My goal is to have regular posts in the following categories:

"What I learned from my Pastor this week." (thanks, Rachel!)

"What I learned from the books I have read."

"What I am learning as a homeschool mom."


I welcome your input in the comments section in each of these categories. So pull up a chair, and join my adventure in a lifetime of learning.


Sunday, March 6, 2011

It's been awhile....

Ten months. That's how long since I last posted to this blog. What happened? Life.

Since May of 2010, much has happened. Most of the family photos and events have been maintained on the Hubert Family Blog. But somehow this blog got neglected.

Instead of trying to work backward, especially with the sermon posts, here's the recap of the last 10 months.

I set this blog up with four initial categories, but realized two of them overlapped, so it is now at three. I will do my best to summarize what's happened in the past ten months in each of these.



1. What I have learned from my pastor (and other things at church) - We are still in Revelation! It's been a very thorough study and we have finally reached the final chapter. Pastor Jack will finish up in the next month or so and my goal is to be MUCH more consistent in summarizing his sermons as we move forward.


Our Sunday School class has worked through two RC Sproul studies: The Holiness of God and The Names of God. We begin John Piper's, Don't Waste Your Life on March 20. I am very excited to start this study and will be posting as we go through it.


Since May 2010, the women's Bible study groups have gone well. We worked through Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Choosing Gratitude, this summer. It was great to see over 60 women attending this study offered at 3 different times.


The fall and spring study has been on the book of Proverbs. Ancient Wisdom in a Postmodern World, by Sue Edwards has been challenging, convicting and encouraging as I have dug into a very practical book in God's Word. There really isn't a topic that the book of Proverbs doesn't cover!


I am currently working with the Women's Ministry Team at our church to select studies for summer and next year. We have many great options and I look forward to posting insights from these in the future.



2. What I have learned from the books I have read - Unfortunately, I have not read many entire books. It seems that most of my reading is textbooks and lesson plans :).


I used to read Christian fiction as I had time, but the last 10 months I may have read one fiction book. And honestly, I don't miss it. The last couple books I have read are The Ever Loving Truth by Voddie Baucham and UnPlanned by Abby Johnson. These were both excellent and I plan on doing an entire post on each of these soon.


Phil and I are going through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace study on Sunday nights at our church. This has been a great tool for us and exciting as well to see these principles work!!


We host a small group on Friday nights led by Phil and Pastor Paul. This is a new group of people, mostly made up of young married couples. We began the school year with Tim Keller's The Gospel in Life study. We have an amazing group of hungry, humble, and hilarious people that makes Friday nights extra special for Phil and I. We just kicked off a new study, also by Tim Keller, The Reason for God. This video is a format unlike anything I have ever viewed. Tim Keller sits down in a round-table-sort of discussion with "seekers" and "scoffers". We have used this opportunity to invite friends and relatives that may feel more comfortable in this setting. The example of Dr. Keller's dialogue with others has also been a great training tool to show us as Christians how to engage the culture in a meaningful, spiritual dialogue.

An added benefit from this new study was Phil and I finding a mature couple in our church to provide mentorship to us. We both feed into other people yet we know we need the specific accountability and wisdom that comes from an older and more mature couple. Bob and Ellie Bruhn started coming with their daughter and her husband before God moved them away. Thankfully, the Bruhn's wanted to stay with our small group and after praying about who to ask to provide mentorship to us, Phil and I both felt led to ask the Bruhn's. We look forward to this growing relationship.

3. What I have learned as a Home School Mom - LOTS!! This is the primary reason this blog has sat dormant for 10 months. In September we started home school all 3 girls (and actually Timothy has jumped right in as well). I believe we have settled into a routine and are actually ahead of schedule to finish up for the year. But I am BUSY, all of the time trying to keep on on planning, teaching, and grading. But already, we have seen great results and have been encouraged in this new venture.

The older girls are going to go on an exciting trip with Grammy and Grandpa to Washington D.C. in June. This has been a great motivation to stay focused and finish in May!

We attended a super home school conference in June of last year and have made plans to go again this year. Lord willing, I can post some of my notes from these conferences as time allows.


Thanks for not giving up on this blog. I am excited to get more regular with my posts. Feel free to comment at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment